How to write Letter of Application
The purpose of writing the letter is to convince the employer that you are the right candidate for the position.
The three important items in the letter are:
- Introducing yourself
- Highlighting your strength
- Gaining an interview
Usually the letter of application is written in response to a particular advertisement. This means that each letter needs to the requirements of the jobs advertised.
Parts of an Application Letter
An application letter should have three main parts:
- an opening
- a body
- a closing
The Opening Paragraph
it refers to the advertisement and name the position for which one is applying. This immediately makes the employer aware of the purpose of the letter and enables him to identify the position that is being applied for. The subject heading is the position that you applied for. The current position is mentioned in the introductory paragraph.
- I wish to be considered for the post of Accounts Executive which was advertised in “The Star” dated 31 October 2011. I believe that my current position as “Assistant Accountant” has provided me with the knowledge and skill necessary for the job.
- With reference to your advertisement in the New Straits times dated 22 November 2011. I would like to be considered as a candidate for the post of “Junior Accountant” in your firm. I believe that I have the necessary qualifications and experience to meet the demand of the position advertised.
The main aim of this part is to impress the employer by:
- Stating your most relevant knowledge/work experience/skills and how you can contribute to the organization
- Referring your reader to your resume
- Please refer to the attached resume for additional information regarding my education, experience and references.
- As you will notice from my resume, I have been working as an … for the past five years. My responsibilities include…
The Closing Paragraph
The closing paragraph normally has items such as:
- Expected salary
- Request for an interview
- I look forward to meeting you at an interview at your convenience.
- If you could grant me an interview, I would appreciate the opportunity of providing you with any further information you require.
|Sample Job Application Letter|
Check out the sample to learn how to do a formal job application letter
Suite 12B, Floor 5,
Jalan kenaga 2/3V,
49000, Petaling Jaya
Mr. Albert Lim
Human Resource Manager,
No 19, Jln Raja Laut
58000 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia 12th January 2012
RE: Applying for the post of Programmer
I am writing to apply for the programmer position advertised in the News Straits Times . As requested, I am enclosing my certification, my resume and three references.
The opportunity presented in this listing is very interesting, and I believe that my strong technical experience and education will make me a very competitive candidate for this position. The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include:
- I have successfully designed, developed, and supported live use applications
- I strive for continued excellence
- I provide exceptional contributions to customer service for all customers
With a BS degree in Computer Programming, I have a full understanding of the full life cycle of a software development project.
I also have experience in learning and excelling at new technologies as needed. Please see my resume for additional information on my experience.
I can be reached anytime via my cell phone, 012-485 3675. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this employment opportunity.